Tuesday, May 31, 2011

shine on

Today I ran into an old friend. We chatted casually about the standard things you talk about when you are awkwardly caught off guard: weather, how each of us has been, how school is, what program we're taking, how summers been, etc.
About 5 minutes into our conversation, I looked down and was immediately distracted by shiny, silver material that was hanging from her waist...
Shiny, lamé shorts.

This season, I've seen a lot of people sporting this peculiar look. No more is lamé confined to the spandex world of American Apparel, but it's gracing the shelves of mainstream stores like H&M and Zara, and showing up in the collections of designers such as Marc Jacobs. A beautiful pair of work shorts can now be purchased in a fabric that I worry may blind someone if the sun were to hit it at a certain angle.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not against lamé/shiny shorts. I think adding a shiny kick to your outfit is a great idea, and having a pair of these fun shorts will fit wonderfully into any summer wardrobe. However, I do believe there's a line you should be wary not to cross. Black or cream lamé shorts can look beautiful in the daytime, but I'd leave the silver and gold to the bar and club scene. And if you're going to sport the lamés in a professional environment, I suggest sticking to solid colours for your top and shoe. Your outfit will have a lot of kick without hinting that you're on your way to an 80's themed party at quitting time.



Just a quick, random thought on my part. What do you think about lamé/shiny shorts? Yay or Nay?

Love,
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sara, who designed the shorts in the first picture with the girl wearing them? I love them! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete