Wednesday, October 05, 2011

McQueen Dream

I spent the duration of my 2 hour Cultural Studies lecture yesterday on Twitter, following Jeanne Beker's minute-t0-minute live tweeting of the McQueen Spring/Summer '12 show. I was really, really looking forward to seeing the collection, and every outfit that Jeanne tweeted did NOT disappoint.

The one thing that I always admired so much about Alexander McQueen was his ability to make even the hardest looking outfit- the darkest, scariest looking piece of fashion- have so much beauty to it. He was the only man who could make a wire cage and animal horns look incredible together. He was a genius, really, and the S/S'12 collection has proven that Sarah Burton has been able to carry on that genius.
The collection is, in a word, beautiful. While Burton has thrown her own style into the designs, she hasn't strayed from McQueen tradition. Drastic waistlines, dramatic headwear, and-thank god!!-lots of feathers, are still important aspects of the McQueen line. And, as popular with McQueen, many of the pieces have harsh shapes (jolting waistlines, sharply cut necklines), but also elude a kind of softness. Through choice of fabric, colour, and texture, the collection is quite refreshing, and it makes me want to go running through a field in Scotland.
Seriously.

I'm going to post a few pictures. I wish I could post them all for you, but it gives a much better effect if you watch the video on the website anyway: http://www.alexandermcqueen.com/int/en/corporate/archive2012_ss_womens.aspx?xtor=AD-47






It's still very odd, McQueen collections without the true McQueen behind them. But, like I said, Sarah Burton has done an amazing job with the legacy she was left with. I'm more than impressed with the Spring/Summer'12 Collection.

And on a final note, is it justifiable to spend my entire government loan on a pair of those shoes?

Love,
Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment