Friday, July 15, 2011

young talent

I know I teased you all about this interview I was doing so long ago, but, finally, here it is!


Graden with her most recent work and some of the fabric she works with.


Alexandra Graden is a talented fashion designer who has yet to enter university. Graden, 18, began her line, Alexandra Lee, in 2010 after showcasing her work at high school fashion shows and making items for her friends. The business is run solely through Facebook and word of mouth - and this seems to be working. Friends tell friends of the clothing, they check out the clothes on Facebook, and if they like what they see, the potential buyer heads up to Graden's home to be fitted and see the merchandise in public. This is how I found, and fell in love with, Graden's designs. The designer, who is stunning (we can't help ourselves!), is currently working on her clothing full-time and plans to attend Ryerson University's fashion design program in September. She has a lot on her plate and is definitely a talent to watch out for. 


Graden recently sat down with Sarah and Justine, where she let loose on where she draws inspiration from, her personal style and her future career aspirations.

Fashgasm: Tell me about Alexandra Lee Designs.

Alexandra Lee - Summer 2011
Alexandra Graden: It started when I was in grade 11 when I took a fashion course at WDHS. I learned how to use a sewing machine and I would take scraps of fabric and I taught myself to sew that way. I would make really simple designs. From there I started a small business. I collected scraps of fabrics from anywhere I could find them like thrift stores. I just started sewing and people started to like what I would wear, so then I started to sell it. I started a Facebook group and it kind of grew and now people are buying my clothes.

Everything is one of a kind. Since the fabric is bought from thrift stores, it’s not like I can go back and buy ten more metres of a fabric I like. Unless I have a little bit extra, everything is just a one-time thing.


F: What are you inspired by when you design?

AG: I’m inspired by bold prints and a lot of colour. I like really simple designs but I like using gorgeous fabrics, really bold, bold fabrics so it balances out. I like going to the city because I’m really inspired by people that I see. Sometimes I’m inspired by what I see on Fashion Television, the prints and colours that people are buying. I’m really inspired by vintage. I like rompers and pantsuits and high-waists and double breasted – all that style.

Beautiful tags/business cards
F: Why did you choose to go to school for fashion?

AG: I chose to go to school for fashion to expand my knowledge of everything. I taught myself pretty much everything I know from books and sewing patterns. I decided to go to school to have a more professional background so I can get a job when I’m older. I need a well-rounded education, not just sewing, but drawing and patternmaking.


F: Will you be continuing your line while you’re at school?

AG: It’s hard to say now because I haven’t done this while going to school. I started this line during a year I took off between high school and university. I’m definitely going to bring some of my things to school with me and see if people are interested down there so I can expand the line. I’m not sure if I’ll have time to actually make new clothes. I’ll definitely start it back up in the summer, between school years. Being in Toronto during the school year will definitely help build a client base.

Clothing from her fall collection

F: You graduate in four years. Have you even thought about your plans that far in advance?

AG: My dream job is to eventually have my own store where I can have a seamstress and put my clothes out there. Right now, I’m thinking that might not be the most realistic option for money and for stability. That’s also why I’ve decided to go to school, to learn about business and to find a stable job. I would also love to work for a clothing company or a designer as an assistant designer. My dream would definitely be to have my own store.

F: Does creating menswear interest you at all?

AG: I don’t know if I ever would get into suits or something similar. I really do like women’s clothing. There’s just so many ways you can go with a woman – you can put her in pants or put a woman in a skirt. It’s not as common to put a man in a skirt. I feel like there’s more freedom with women’s clothing.

Graden's studio
F: Who do you design for when you’re sketching?

AG: Honestly, I’m thinking of myself, like of what I really, really like. I have a lot of different styles so I think that benefits the line because I design a lot of really different things that different types of people would wear.

F: Tell me about the shopping parties you’re planning. How are these going to work?

AG: Every week or every two weeks, I’m going to have groups of people come over to my studio. I’m going to have everything set up, like tables of fabric and clothing on the rack, so the customers can pick the style and fabric they want. Or they can buy straight off the rack. I want to have different groups of girls come every week so it doesn’t get too crazy.

F: Who is your favourite designer?

AG: I really like Christian Dior and Balenciaga. I really like structured and put-together women, and I know it doesn’t really reflect in the clothing I make, but I’m working on developing on that.

F:Who is your style icon?

AG: I really like Audrey Hepburn. And Jackie Kennedy was really badass. She was really put together and classically elegant. Kate Middleton is the same way. All those prominent people, they’re just so put together all the time and everything they wear is really timeless. I love timeless things. They’re modest but they still look sexy.


Clothes from Alexandra Lee 


Recognize this? I fell in love and had to buy it!






Photos in studio by Sarah Ward; Photos of clothing provided by Alexandra Graden.


No comments:

Post a Comment