Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty at The Met

Justine and I recently returned from a wonderful (and exhausting) trip to New York City. It was a great time, and one of the highlights of the trip-and one of the reasons we were so set on going-was the Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty exhibit at The Met.
I went into the exhibit positive that I was going to love what I saw, and I was right. It was absolutely stunning, and a bit overwhelming at times. McQueen's most epic pieces were displayed in different rooms, all with varying themes. However, for the most part it was all very dark. But, that's McQueen for you. I felt like I was stepping into the mind of a tortured romantic, and at times I seriously thought I was going to cry. SO much passion and heart poured into the most incredible designs.

The one thing Justine and I noted about the works of art (because that's truly what McQueen designs are) was the fact that, when looking at each design, it's very hard to place what year they're from. Until I read the plaques, I would guess a dress was from a 2007 collection when it was from a 1996. It's seriously impressive, the fact that McQueen didn't follow rules in terms of what was "in" for each season. Unless you studied the pieces very hard and noticed that in the more recent years the designs have become more complex/a bit better quality, it's impossible to place the year of their creation.

The strangest and saddest part of the McQueen exhibit was reaching the end ("please don't be over yet!") and coming to his last collection: Plato's Atlantis. Home of the Armadillo Shoe, this collection is stunning, and it's almost hard to look at when you realize he was designing such beautiful pieces so close to the end of his life.
Every collection of McQueen's tells the story of a man who was tormented by his emotions. And although McQueen's work is dark, there is an undertone of romance and passion.
I'm not even exaggerating when I suggest flying to Manhattan just to see this exhibit. The lines and crowds are a bit of a bitch, but it's worth it.

“I want to empower women. I want people to be afraid of the women I dress.” – Alexander McQueen.

Love, Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment