Monday, November 28, 2011

Adventures in the Ivy League

I'm currently sitting in a hotel room in New Haven, Connecticut overlooking the Yale University campus. My dad called me last week informing me he was going on an impromptu business trip to the school, and invited me and my sisters along. Obviously, I jumped at it. I've never visited an Ivy League school and it works out perfectly that for the 4 days we're here in New Haven, I have absolutely nothing going on at school (RARE).

My sister and I spent today, which was the first day of our trip, roaming about the city and campus. Surprisingly enough, despite its incredible history and beautiful buildings, the city of New Haven itself isn't as nice as we were expecting. You'd assume a city that's home to one of the most prestigious schools in the world would have a respectable reputation, but from what people here have been telling me and what I've seen so far, it's pretty much the opposite. The crime rate in New Haven is through the roof, and the streets surrounding Yale are filled with homeless people and loud, obnoxious citizens. It doesn't really bother me, though. I actually find it pretty entertaining. Everyone seems to talk to everyone like they know each other, stopping in the street to talk to anyone who's down to strike up a convo.
BUT, when you get onto the Yale campus it's literally like entering a whole new world (I'm singing the Aladdin song in my head right now...). The streets are lined with ancient, beautiful ivy covered buildings, bicycles have replaced all cars, and everyone is twenty years old and walking quickly, like they're constantly late for class.
It was kinda intimidating, but kinda great. Actually, it was just great.


I tried to note what many of the students were wearing so I could write about it on here. I think Gossip Girl syndrome got to me again, because I was waiting to see people frolicking about in argyle and pearls, when what I mostly saw was people frolicking about in sweats and Yale sweaters. Everyone seemed pretty worn down, which is to be expected near the end of the school term on an Ivy League campus.
However, there were still a ton of students dressed in outfits that I couldn't wait to blog about. I actually saw a few common, recurring trends that I love. They're simple and easy, but look great.

The first trend I noticed on campus was the two and three-toned knit sweaters. I saw a bunch of girls wearing these with simple skinny jeans and flats. They looked great, but also comfy and definitely something I'd wear to class.


Something else I noticed was the abundance of colourful blazers around campus. I looove blazers, especially if they're bright and make a statement. I saw a few girls wearing them in green and red, and some in prints (floral blazers, YAY!).


Another trend I noticed today, which is definitely my favourite, was the popular short skirt and knitwear trend. I saw a lot of girls sporting fitted skirts with baggy, extremely comfy looking knitted sweaters. A great fall look with flats or chunky boots. I want all the baggy knits!!


Tomorrow we're taking the train to NYC for the day so I can reunite with my favourite city (eee!). Despite the fact that I have absolutely zero dollars to my name, I'm going to spend my time exploring and people-watching. So, expect another post soon!

Love, Sarah




No comments:

Post a Comment