Monday, March 07, 2011

red in the face


Last Saturday, Viktor and Rolf continued to satisfy fashion's craving for the dramatic. 




At V&R's F/W 2011 show, models were sent down the runway with their faces covered in red make-up. This collection was fierce - a collection comprised solely of red, black, cream and silver. 

The attention to detail in this collection is remarkable. The fanning on dresses and sleeves. 


This collection rides of some themes seen throughout fashion week: militarian and tough in combination with soft features such as ruffles that resemble feathers. 


Although the designers created amazing work, I am hesitant to praise without criticism. Over the past couple of seasons, I have noticed there is seemingly exceedingly less and less thought paid to the real world. 


Of course, the designs are stunning and have details such as fanned shoulders (above), but I just feel they are losing their focus and turning their designs into art and not fashion. I'm all for art, but I think it's just the changing focus that makes me sad. 


However, there are always exceptions. There are two looks that caught me by surprise this season - the one featured above and the two at the top (one look, two colours). The architecture of the clothing coupled with the monotone looks and contrasted to the shoe colour, caught my eye in a good way! Definitely not a 'theatre' look, like most of the outfits. 



Photos from NY Mag.

Follow my blog with bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment